Is tooth-grinding starting to cause you pain? Your Issaquah dentist can help you out! Try following these simple tips to reduce your grinding and spare yourself the grief of broken teeth and jaw pain:
- People often grind when they are feeling stressed. Figure out the cause of your stress, and find a way to cope with or alleviate this stress.
- Pain in the teeth or jaw area can cause you to grind. Have your dentist look at any potential aggravators in your oral cavity.
- Cut back on caffeine.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- If you habitually chew items that are not food, like pens, bottle caps, or even gum, you’re training your jaw muscles to clench. This can lead to grinding.
- If you grind during the day, you can train your jaw muscles to relax by placing the tip of your tongue between your teeth.
- If you grind while you sleep, try relaxing your jaw muscles. Hold a warm washcloth against your cheek for a few minutes before going to bed.